We are happy to announce the release and immediate availability of the new ORB Launcher 0.2.001
In addition to the DEB and multi-distro ISO, we now also have an RPM installer.
We are happy to announce a new version (0.1.042) of ORB Launcher!
New installer (ISO)
The biggest change is the new installer:
An ISO, based on ORB and Superdeb technology
The installer is designed to:
(changes since version 0.1.34)
- [NEW] Ability to retrieve and check cryptographic signatures
- [NEW] Damaged files are now automatically detected and given a special icons and prevented from running
- [NEW] Trusted/Signed files are automatically marked as executable
- [IMPROVED] ORB configuration folder is now ~/.config/orb
- [IMPROVED] Automatically refreshes some open folders (Desktop + Downloads), so any ORB files in those locations are now ready-to-run immediately after the installation of ORB Launcher
- [IMPROVED] Even if interrupted, the program still automatically cleans temporary files
- [IMPROVED] Improved support for Portable Apps (some icons used by the apps themselves con now be properly found and used)
- [FIX] Configuration file is no longer replaced after every update
- Minor fixes / cleanup
A new version of ORB Launcher (0.1.34) is now available with many improvements.
New ORB icon
The custom icon from each .orb is now displayed on the bottom-right corner of the main icon.
The .deb file can now be installed offline, no extra dependencies required
Improved support for ORB Apps that require root access
By default, the root user now has access to the mounted ORB.
- A copy of binfmt-support is now included in the .deb
- It is now possible to call the Launcher from the command line with a new command: orb-launcher (in addition to the already-existing command: orb)
- If the ORB Launcher is launched without any arguments, a GUI message will appear, giving the user some feedback
- The ORB Launcher now supports the metadata “ORB_REQUIRES_ROOT” (this is subject to change). So now, if required, the ORB Launcher will try to run the .orb file as root.
- Note: Nothing automatically runs as root: Everything must ALWAYS be approved by the user
This new ORB Launcher has already been added to the Orbital-Apps APT repository.
In addition, the repository itself was updated and the message “The repository is insufficiently signed by key (weak digest)” no longer appears when running “sudo apt-get update”